In Memory

John Peterson - Class Of 1928

John Peterson

John C. Peterson, 91, of Delphi, died at 7:45 a.m. on Feb. 25, 2003, at St. Elizabeth Healthcare Center, where he had resided since 1999.
  Born on the Peterson family farm on Sept. 10, 1911, he was the son of William F. and Catherine Heiny Peterson.  He married Doris Christenson at Lake Village on Aug. 5, 1938, and she died July, 18, 1984.
  Mr. Peterson was a 1928 graduate of Delphi High School and a 1942 graduate of Purdue University in agricultural economics.
  He was a retired farmer and partner in Peterson Farms and Peterson Farm Service.  He was a 67-year member of Delphi Presbyterian Church and served as an elder, deacon and trustee.
  In 1933, he helped to organize the county, district and state Rural Youth, serving as the first director from his district for the state organization.  He also served as an advisor.
  In 1935, he was secretary-treasurer of the 4-H Agricultural Exhibit Association.  He was one of 21 original incorporators of Carroll County REMC, serving from 1935 to 1939 as director and secretary-treasurer.  From 1937 to 1938, he was project superintendent during the wiring of homes.
  He served as secretary of the Carroll County Farm Bureau from 1935 to 1936, and from 1945 to 1951 was president.  He also was chairman of the township F.B.
  From 1940 to 1941, he served on the ag extension staff at Purdue.  He was chairman of the Carroll County Extension Committee from 1949 to 1963.  In 1954, he was chairman of the committee representing 10 churches that fed 85,000 people, who attended the second annual Prairie Farmer-WLS Farm Progress Show on the Miles Martin farm.
  He wrote monthly feature articles for the Carroll County Farm News from 1946 to 1957.  In 1966, he served as chairman of the Carroll County Sesquicentennial Committee.
  From 1961 to 1966, he was a member of Carroll Improvement Membership Committee 44 (CIMCO 44) serving as its president for one year.  From 1967 to 1985, he was a member of Super CIMCO and the Carroll County Community Development Study Committee and served as its chairman.
  In 1966, he began serving six years as chairman of the county plan commission and from 1967 to the late 1980s was president of the area plan commission.
  He was a member of Carroll County Old Settlers Association and a director for three years; Carroll County Historical Society, which he helped organize and served as a director, a charter member of Carroll County Wabash & Eric Canal Inc.; Indiana Historical Society; Canal Society of Indiana; and Old Canal Investment Club.  He was a member of Wabash Valley Torch Club, and was a treasurer from 1975 to 1991.  He was a 50-year member of Mount Olive Masonic Lodge #48, F & AM; Scottish Rite Valley of Indianapolis; and Murat Shrine.  He was a member of Camp Tecumseh Trailblazer Club and one of the first campers at Camp Tecumseh in 1923.  He was a member of Purdue Club of Carroll County, and a member of Carroll County Farm Bureau for more than 50 years.
  Mr. Peterson was a member of the Delphi Rotary since 1948, serving as president from 1955 to 1956.  He was honored as a Paul Harris Fellow in 1985.  He served as chairman of Rotary's Farmers Day Luncheon for many years.
  He established the John C. and Doris M. Peterson Fund for the Carroll County Historical Society in 1999.
  He enjoyed traveling with his wife and went to many countries.  He presented over 200 slide shows of his tripsto almost 7,000 people.  In 1980, he and his wife wrote and published a book, Carroll County Indiana Rural Organizations.
  In 1994, he was one of the original inductees into the Carroll County Agriculture Hall of Fame.  In 1997, he and his brother, Joe, served as the 4-H parade marshals.  In 2000, he received the Carroll County Heritage Award and received the Sagamore of the Wabash Award in 2000.  The 2001 Carroll County 4-H Fair Book was dedicated to him.
  Survivors include a daughter, Carolyn J. Brower of St. Josephi, Ill; a son, David L. Peterson of Cambridge, Mass.; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.  He was preceded in death by a brother.
  Services were held March 1 at Delphi Presbyterian Church, with burial at Hickory Grove Cemetery.  Davidson Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
  Memorials may be made to Delphi Presbyterian Church.
Obituary notice taken from the Carroll County Comet, Wednesday, March 5, 2003